Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer: Holiday Mishaps
- Posted on: Dec 7 2016
It’s easy to get caught up in all of the excitement surrounding the holidays, but Dr. Lawrence Li and the rest of the staff at Orthopedic & Shoulder Center would like to remind you to stay safe this holiday season! Here are a few tips for you to keep in mind as you prepare for winter weather and the holidays.
Keep your Luggage Light
If your luggage is too heavy and you are struggling to carry it you may end up with an injury to your shoulder, elbow, neck, or back. Here are some tips to help avoid injuries due to luggage:
- If possible pack your items in a few small bags instead of one large one.
- If you are lifting your luggage into an overhead compartment, it is best to lift your bag to the top of seat first, then with your hands on both sides of your bag or suitcase, lift it to the overhead compartment.
- Don’t carry heavy luggage for extended periods of time, take breaks and ask for help.
- If you are carrying a duffel or shoulder bag, be sure to switch sides often.
You might not think of holiday decorating as dangerous, but the 68,000 Americans who found themselves in doctors offices around the country last winter would most likely disagree with you. Ladder falls are a common injury this time of year- it’s okay to “Deck the Halls” but follow important safety guidelines while doing so.
- Instead of standing on an office chair to hang up decorations, grab something a bit sturdier, like a step stool.
- Place ladders on even, solid surfaces and have someone watch while you are on a ladder.
- Don’t try to lift and/or hang something that is too heavy for you… ask for help!
- Remember the 4 to 1 rule: For every 4 feet that the ladder rises, the bottom of the ladder should be 1 foot away from the wall.
- Try to keep walkways clear…it’s easy to trip over clutter like gift boxes or decorations.
If you find yourself with an orthopedic injury this holiday season, remember that Dr. Lawrence Li and the rest of the staff at Orthopedic & Shoulder center are here for you. Our same day appointments mean that we’ll get you back in the holiday spirit in no time.
Posted in: Blog